Pay Up! CNN to Face Huge Lawsuit From Covington Student

Last month, Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann’s lawyer dropped a huge $250,000 lawsuit on the Washington Post.

And now they have the next target on their list.

And it’s one that isn’t a stranger to fake news.

Lawyer L. Lin Wood told Fox New’s Mark Levin that they would be suing CNN for its coverage of the incident that happened with Nathan Phillips at the Lincoln Memorial that then resulted in the internet targeting the teen and his family with death threats.

From Fox News:

“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post. And CNN goes into millions of individuals’ homes,” Wood told Fox News host and best-selling author Mark Levin.

“They really went after Nicholas with the idea that he was part of a mob that was attacking the Black Hebrew Israelites, yelling racist slurs at the Black Hebrew Israelites. Totally false.

“Now you say you’ve seen the tape; if you took the time to look at the full context of what happened that day, Nicholas Sandmann did absolutely nothing wrong. He was, as I’ve said to others, he was the only adult in the room. But you have a situation where CNN couldn’t resist the idea that here’s a guy with a young boy, that Make America Great Again cap on. So they go after him.”

Wood continued: “The CNN folks were online on Twitter at 7 a.m retweeting the little one-minute propaganda piece that had been put out. … They’re out there right away going after this young boy. And they maintain it for at least two days. Why didn’t they stop and just take an hour and look through the Internet and find the truth and then report it? Maybe do that before you report the lies.”

He said the complaint would probably be filed “Monday or Tuesday” and he had a group of young lawyers working on the suit “double-checking” to make sure they got their complaints right. “Maybe CNN can learn from that,” Wood said.

Wood thought that the claim for Sandmann’s “reputational damage” might be greater against CNN than against the Washington Post.

“The Post was $50 million for the reputational damage … $200 million in punitive damages — punitive damages are designed to punish and to deter.

“I would think the punitive-damage award against CNN that we’ll seek will be at least the same $200 million as it was against The Washington Post. But the compensatory damage to Nicholas’s reputation, that number I expect will be higher.”

The WaPo suit accused the paper of “false and defamatory print and online articles … to smear a young boy who was, in its view, an acceptable casualty in their war against the president.”

Since the filing of the suit, WaPo issued an “Editor’s Note” acknowledging failures in their initial reporting. But they didn’t issue an apology and Sandmann’s legal team said it was insufficient.

The media and the internet targeted Sandmann and his fellow students after a confrontation they had with Native American Nathan Phillips. The students were painted as nasty racists who were mocking Phillips, a Vietnam war vet. It was later revealed that Phillip’s version of the story was false and videos supported the Covington students’ version of events that they had done nothing. An investigation by the Covington Diocese also found no fault with the students.