BREAKING: NY Times Editorial Page Editor Resigns After Staffers Are Reportedly ‘Triggered’ By Opinion Piece

OPINION | This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion.

The New York Times announced Sunday that Editorial Page Editor James Bennet is resigning, according to Fox News.

Staffers inside the Times were reportedly unhappy that Bennet defended an opinion piece titled, “Send in the Troops” by Senator Tom Cotton, R-Ark.

Cotton argued that staffers at the Times get “triggered if they’re presented with any opinion contrary to their own,” Fox News added.

“The New York Times editorial page editor and owner defended it in public statements but then they totally surrendered to a woke child mob from their own newsroom that apparently gets triggered if they’re presented with any opinion contrary to their own,” Cotton said. “As opposed to telling the woke children in their newsroom this is the workplace, not a social-justice seminar on campus,” Cotton added.

In the opinion piece, Cotton called for the government to deploy troops as a last resort to help quell riots and looting that emerged amid the anger over Floyd’s death in Minneapolis police custody last month.

After the backlash from liberal employees, Bennet reportedly apologized for defending the paper’s decision to present a different opinion.

Fox News reports that the publication of Cotton’s opinion sparked a revolt among Times journalists.

Staffers at the Times reportedly argued that Cotton’s opinion “endangered black employees.” Staff members even “called out sick Thursday in protest,” Fox News reported.

The Times later announced that a review found the piece did not meet its standards. Bennet released a statement that reads, “The journalism of Times Opinion has never mattered more than in this time of crisis at home and around the world, and I’ve been honored to be part of it.”

Bennet continued, “I’m so proud of the work my colleagues and I have done to focus attention on injustice and threats to freedom and to enrich debate about the right path forward by bringing new voices and ideas to Times readers.”

Bennet’s resignation was announced by Times publisher A.G. Sulzberger in a memo to staff.

More from Fox News:

— Advertisement —

“Last week we saw a significant breakdown in our editing processes, not the first we’ve experienced in recent years,” Sulzberger wrote. “James and I agreed that it would take a new team to lead the department through a period of considerable change.”

Cotton blasted the Times for a tweet that he said misrepresented his argument — specifically, that he supposedly called for “military force against protesters in American cities.”

“This is false and offensive,” Cotton tweeted. “I called for using military force as a backup–only if police are overwhelmed–to stop riots, not to be used against protesters. If @nytimes has any decency left, they should retract this smear.”

I called for using military force as a backup—only if police are overwhelmed—to stop riots, not to be used against protesters.

President Trump weighed in on the matter by commending Cotton’s op-ed piece, and denouncing the Times as “Fake News.”

In the wake of Cotton’s op-ed, the Times announced several changes, including expanding its fact-checking operation and reducing the number of op-eds, opinion pieces written by outside contributors.