Jen Psaki recently stated that There was ‘no basis’ to which call for the sitting down of a Texas child migration facility despite alleged claims that there are sexual assaults taking place within the detention center, according to Fox News.
Currently, over 16,000 children are in the care of the Human Health Services while there are an additional 4,000 kids in the custody of Customs and Border Protection.
Recent reports have stated that 172,000 migrants have been encountered at the southern border in the month of March alone, including 18,890 unaccompanied children.
There are currently more than 16,000 unaccompanied children in HHS care and more than 4,000 in Customs and Border Protection (CBP) custody. On Thursday, CBP announced there had been 172,000 migrant encounters in March. That included 18,890 unaccompanied children — a 100% increase from the already high numbers encountered in February, and the highest monthly number recorded.
The facility in question holdover 1,300 migrant children.
Psaki gave her word that the allegations would not be taken lightly but insisted that there is “no basis for his call to shut down San Antonio Freeman as an intake site.”
The Department of Health and Human Services claims that they hold a “zero-tolerance policy for all forms of sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and inappropriate sexual behavior.””
From Fox News:
Abbott said he believed the allegations came from someone inside the facility, and that they include sexual abuse, insufficient staffing, children not eating and COVID-positive migrants not being separated.
The governor said that separate complaints were sent to the Department of Health and Human Services and the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services Wednesday, alleging four different kinds of child abuse.
Republicans, including Sens. Ted Cruz, Texas, Rob Portman, Ohio and John Cornyn, Texas, have demanded the administration investigate the claims.